Monday, November 20, 2006

So in a fairytale world I would have gotten home and played my new Nintendo for the rest of my life (or until I got hungry, whichever came first). Unfortunately, my life is anything but a fairytale. I made it home with enough time to grab a shower and head to church. I was still running off a crap load of adrenaline, and a hoggle of Breakfast Blend coffee from Sheetz at this point. By the time I made it to church I was fading fast. I nearly fell asleep during the pastoral prayer and thus decided to pray with my eyes open for the remainder of the service. I sadly declined and invitation to dinner with The Neighbors and headed straight home to hit the sack.

I got home and fell on the couch, throwing my eyeglasses on the floor whilst in mid fall. The Dad just watched me and laughed. He started telling me about a newspaper article that he had read about people standing inline for PS3s and Wiis, but sadly that was all I remember. I was out cold 1 minute into his story. After a couple of minutes of laying on the couch completely lifeless, I gimped upstairs and fell into bed, much the same way I fell onto the couch. There I crashed hard for about 3 hours. I’ve only slept in such a matter about three times in my life that I can remember. Once was back my freshman year in college where I decided to stay up all night to watch the sunrise in the morning during Finals Week while everyone else was studying. The second was after a 48-hour day celebrating a college roommate’s soon-to-be marriage at his bachelor’s party in NYC. The third obviously being just this past weekend. This kind of sleep can be described as an absolute blackout. I hear nothing, I feel nothing, I sense nothing, and I react to absolutely nothing. It’s just me in total nothingness for hours, completely lifeless. You could probably compare it to a drunken pass out, but I’ve never been there.

Finally about three hours later I awoke feeling ridiculously groggy and tremendously weak (keep in mind I hadn’t eaten or drank anything except for a Schmiscuit and coffee since supper the previous evening. I dragged myself downstairs only to find the Stillers down 10-20 with about 6 minutes to go in the forth. The Sister called at some point after I woke up, but I really don’t recall too much of the conversation unfortunately. I know I didn’t give her details she was hoping for. Sorry Jenn, we’ll talk this weekend. Once the Stillers pulled off an amazing victory over the poophead Browns, I found the strength to begin installing my new Wii. I got ‘er all hooked up and ready to go in no time. I created my Mii, setup the wireless communications, and configured the rest of the system. I slapped in Wii Sports, the game the unit came with, and got to play for about an hour before it was time for supper.

Now I’m not an idiot (most times) and I don’t play one on TV, but this next move could classify me as such. The Dad made supper early so I could get my lazy can out of the house to play volleyball that evening. What was wrong with me? All I wanted to do was sit down, and play my Wii, while mentally100%, for the rest of time! Was that so much to ask? Apparently because I felt I had to meet all other obligations. So I ate, drove out to The Big City only to find out the team we were supposed to play forfeited. I then drove back to The Park to play a game at another league. By this time my supper had mostly set it and I had a little energy, but not enough to play decently, as was probably evident by my collapsing on the floor (in much the same matter I did on the couch and in bed earlier that day) after the match was over.

But I couldn’t let the weekend go by with me making the purchase of the century and not using the blasted thing. So I drove myself home and finally played for about 3 hours. Sunday night was one of the best sleeps I’ve had in a while. It was hard to pick myself out of bed Monday morning for work, and believe me I seriously contemplated not coming in so I could begin my massive life-long Wii experience, but I couldn’t bring myself to do so. My only saving grace: this week is Turkey Week and I have Thursday off. You can guess what I’ll be doing all day long! Nintendo ROCKS!

No comments: