Monday, August 14, 2006

Is it really necessary to be all touchy-feely when you're driving with your significant other? Honestly! So I'm behind some dude on my way to work today in the typical beat up Covite car (friends of mine that live in The Cove, please take no offense) when his dudette girlfriend, or wife, or mistress, or what-have-you decides it would be fun to play a game of swing--your--partner's--hand--round--n--round. Yeah that's great isn't it? How about we drive idiots! This is ridiculous (my current favorite word of the month by the way)! New York State outlaws hand-held mobile phone talking but we can play with our driver's hands and who knows what else while he drives? Yeah, I don't think so.

And let's talk about the silly hands-free mobile phone law. It's stupid. It's not my hand holding the phone that is distracting me from my driving; it's the person I'm talking too. That's absolutely no different from a passenger talking my ear off (except when I'm tuning said passenger out which shamefully I have done before [but I've also done that on the phone too]) in the seat next to me. The distraction comes when your concentration is focused not on your driving, but on your conversations. It's like when I pass a cute chick (or "hottie" as my mom has learned) on the highway, my attention at that point is no longer based on driving, but on . . . well . . . her. Oh come on! No judging! You know you all do it!

3 comments:

DMM said...

U need to talk to Jeff H. about a certain incident he saw as he was driving to meet me for the Pottstown Rumble tourney. What he saw was more then hand holding...

LOL

Darla

JLC said...

Hah, to comment on the whole "being distracted by a hottie" bit... I was driving down a crowded Los Angeles boulevard about a week ago at around midnight, and a guy caught my eye. Unfortunately, I was completely distracted, and nearly sideswiped a parked car. Personally, I think all attractive people should be kept from driving, as they are a safety hazard.

... Just kidding.

Diane said...

Women putting on makeup while driving and holding up traffic is my pet peeve. I see the cell phone talkers nearly swipe people rolling through parking lots all the time.