Tuesday, September 14, 2004

So I found out last night that due to fossils found in 2003 in China, and other fossils found in China a few years before that, it has now become an accepted evolutionary fact that birds are the direct descendents of some dinosaurs. Of course, this didn't surprise me a whole lot as I thought that was pretty obvious 10 years ago! In case you didn't know, and I'm pretty sure none of you reader know, when I was but a boy I was obsessed with dinosaurs. Sort of ironic that they are still called dinosaurs as that name means "terrible lizard." There has been so much discovery in the dino-realm since I was a boy. Brontosaurus only existed as the head of one dinosaur and the body of another, some raptors were known to have feathers, and paleontologists even decided that an asteroid in fact did kill the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Now of course I realize I have readers out there that think all this evolution stuff is just garbage, and that's okay. We all have different views of the world around us. Who's to say what I believe is right anyway? But, it is interesting to me, so I will continue to study it and learn more.

So I got a little off the topic here. Back to dinosaurs. It's sort of neat seeing the evolution of information related to the ancient creatures. I remember watching videos and ready old encyclopedias about the dinosaurs in which the information then, would be completely incorrect. It's just weird thinking about what do we think we know now, that in 15 years we'll discover is just completely incorrect?

No comments: