Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Now, whether he knows it or not, I think my dad is a smart guy. And when it comes to lawn care, he is just about the smartest. In fact, the only grass I see greener than his lawn is The Masters course in Augusta, Georgia. And being the green thumb that he is, when he tells me to do something with the lawn, I do it, because I don't question his ability. So, when he tells me we need to cut my grandma's grass, then we obviously need to cut her grass. Now, if you've never used a push mower before, then you're either lazy, extremely weak, a girl, or all three. When you use a push mower, and the grass is wet, you need to be careful that the grass doesn't clump up on the underside of the mower. Today, the grass was wet, but the grass needed to be cut. So I met my dad at my grandma's house after my run and we proceeded to cut her lawn. It was so long that I couldn't even finish a pass before the grass bag was full. I didn't have more than 5 passes done when it was time so eat. So Dad and I went in for some food and warmed up some. Now, it was quite cold outside when we started but it was bearable. Once dinner was over we looked out the window to see the poring down rain, suddenly change to a heavy snow and back again. Keep in mind, it is April now. The rain and snow kept up and eventually slowed down enough so we could finish.

Now, I'm obviously no expert in lawn care (yet), but I felt as though the grass was now just way too wet to cut, but Pop said we must finish! So we go out and I start the mower and I notice that there's not much going in the bag, but the grass is getting cut. By this time, it's frickin' FREEZING outside to the point where I could see my breath and was wearing gloves and a winter coat. Again, I'm not a lawn expert, but I sure as HECK never cut grass in a winter jacket while enjoying winter fresh breath. The more I cut, the less went in the bag and the more clogged the mower. Finally, after another 30 minutes or completely making a mess of the yard, Pops finally decided to call it quits and return to finish tomorrow. Like I said, I'm no lawn care expert yet, but today's lesson was quickly and easily learned: Don't cut grass after it has just pored down rain and blizzarded! Ever!

No comments: