Monday, May 03, 2004

So it appears that I am unable to connect to the Internet with my wireless laptop while I’m in Boston so you won’t read these next few blogs until I am back in good old PA. The trip here yesterday was quite interesting. I made it to my plane and everything well in advance and our plane was very much on time. So we were on the runway and the main engines had just kicked in to take flight when someone behind me yells, “This woman is having chest pains!” So the engines die down and all 500 physicians on board rush to the woman’s aid. So the plane turns around and heads back to the terminal where you would think the EMS unit would be ready and waiting, but we had to wait for them to get there. Apparently this woman, who was probably my age, has had some gall bladder problems and had an operation on her gall bladder recently. Her screams of agony were very apparent and painful. So they finally got her out of the plane on some type of plane-seat modified stretcher and about an hour after our initial bout to take off, we finally did take off.

The flight was pleasant. I always like looking down at the layer of clouds below you. It really makes me realize how insignificant all of us and our problems are. It’s truly awesome how God can care about all of us when we have to seem so small in His eyes.

So, I arrived in Boston and got my luggage and van ride without incident. The actual van ride however, is quite an interesting story. The driver, of course, barely speaks English and has apparently gotten directions to the hotels he drives to from some virus-infected MapQuest. I’m pretty sure I could get to the hotels much more efficiently without even ever having been here before! We turned left then right, and who knows where else 12 dozen times! And to me, it seems as though the city is in some sort of grid layout as most cities are. On the small stretches of road between red lights and stop signs that probably measured roughly 100 feet our driver was able to go at least 40 MPH. A few times my head hit the ceiling from the driver’s speed and the very poor road conditions. But, after numerous stop signs that must have read, “Go” instead of “Stop” and red lights that apparently appeared green, I made it to my hotel still alive. Let’s hope I don’t experience that sort of excitement until I leave on Thursday.

No comments: