Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Vision Conference number one is over with only four more to go. Actually, it wasn’t too bad. The presenters did a fairly decent job. Their PowerPoint’s could have used a little more work (come on people, let’s use dark background and light text not the eye killer white background and black text), but most of them kept my interest. I know Andy can relate but it seemed as though half of the people here are Indian or Asian. And I know I’m the youngest person here. My inexperience in Vision Automation is pretty apparent I’m sure. I walked around the booths after the first conference for an hour or so. It seems our application is something no one is even coming close to doing. Not because it is hard, but because of the nature of the project. The vast majority of vision applications deal with label inspection/location. Other’s deal with bottle shapes and color, but not one application here in Boston deals at all with stone. Data Translation is a vision software company that appears to have software that can easily tackle our problem of looking at different size stone on conveyers. It’s a graphically programmable application than, when completed, can be exported to a Visual Basic IDE and compiled to look like your own companies product. Let’s hope I hear from them in the future.

My next conference is at 3:00pm today. So now, I’m going to eat some lunch and maybe read a bit. The weather is extremely windy here. I feel like I’m back in The Cove. Let’s hope I don’t get blown away!

No comments: