Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Why am I working with moisture probes again? I thought I was done with these things. Turns out now, I am the company expert on them, and since The Workplace just bought a brand new one, Your's Truly had to go help make it work today. The question we will soon see is how accurate are they? For 10 grand a pop, they better be darn accurate!

So I was taking my Tue/Thurs run today when I was about a quarter of a mile from the end and a huge lightning bolt from the sky shivered me timbers from less than a mile away. Shortly there after the rain started to fall. Now, let me tell you a little about lightning. You can determine the strikes distance from you by counting the time between what you see and what you hear. For every 5 seconds you count, the lighting is one mile away. Also, I'd like to point out that you can pretty much draw a 5 miles radius circle around the strike and say, that anywhere with that circle, another strike could occur with pretty good odds. So, here's my math question that results from the above information.

So, if I'm cruising along at a decent rate of about 7.5 mph and I count 4 seconds between flash and boom, what is the rate of chance in my running that would allow me to get home before I die? The answer: Fast. I hauled it the last quarter mile and with the ran and all, I got so absorbed (pun was intended of course) in running I forgot all about the approaching storm. It was quite nice.

Finally let me just say, that my legs hurt even worse today than they did yesterday. Isn't muscle pain supposed to get less severe as the days go on? Hey, what do I care? I say bring on the pain!

No comments: