Thursday, March 11, 2004

It seems like most of my friends have interviews for new jobs today. I wish them all well! Today it was back to the old web application code. Luckily come lunch time I had business out at a plant so it got me away from that. I'm hoping with production season starting up and contract division getting their portable plants set up I won't be at my desk too much coding stupid web apps.

On a side note, the brightest star known to man was found not too long ago. This star, LBV 1806-20 is 40 million times the brightness of our own sun. The previous record holder was Pistol Star at about 6 million times brighter. At 45,000 light years from the Sun, LBV 1806-20 weighs about 150 solar masses, easily dwarfing our own sun. If the Sun could be represented by the period at the end of this sentence, LBV 1806-20 would be the size of a CD, easily swallowing the Sun 8 million times over. These findings can be found at the January meeting of the American Astronomical Society.