Wednesday, March 31, 2004

So I spent the whole day making my new laptop work. Since I am a programmer, it is vital that I be able to program on my laptop. This means installing the main three programming utilities that I use; Dynamic C, Visual Studio 6.0, and Visual Studio.NET. Now, the first two installations went off without a hitch. The third seemed to go okay, but when I went to continue development on my stupid web application, it wouldn't work. The page would load up ok, but as soon as the page would refresh (like when you click a button or link on a webpage) I would get the stupid 404 error, your page does not exist. Of course it exists! You just looked at it! Well, I was at web forum after web forum with no answers. I unistalled and reinstalled .NET (this takes about 3 hours to do, and that's just the installing part), I installed new web browsers and I even knocked the thing around for a little while. Despite the concerned looks from the people in the surrounding cubicles, I came up with the correct sequence of steps to solve my problem. Uninstall IIS (this is web server stuff you can find under your WINNT directory), reboot the computer, re-install IIS, reboot computer, register ASP.NET components (this is what makes the web page do cool stuff like get information from a database and junk). Finally, come 4 PM, I was finally done and was able to continue coding some more. I'm not sure what I was more excited about. Did you catch that sarcasm?

No comments: