Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Jimmy's Movie Review: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

So I enjoy watching Jim Carrey on the big screen, so when I read that he had directed and starred in a new movie, I jumped at the opportunity to go see it. If you haven't heard anything about this movie (not a big surprise since I didn't) then here's the plot in a few seconds. Three children are left orphaned after their parents die in a mysterious house fire. The genius children are shuffled around from guardian to guardian while Jim Carrey's character follows them around in manic attempts to kill the children and obtain their deceased parent's fortune.

What did I think? I thought it was very good. It definitely keeps your interest and has it's quite humorous moments (leeches!), however, the plot does wind up with some holes in it and it's PG rating is way underrated! I mean, there is no harsh language or sexual content, but frankly, this is a dark movie and if I were a kid, I'd have left the theatre with wet pants and crying eyes. The meaning behind the film however is deep and meaningful. If you're looking for more information about the movie, check out the link at the top of this post. Actually, the website was the main reason I saw the movie! In short, if you're in a weird sort of mood and have a great friend to go with, check this movie out. Don't bring the young one's though as they will remembering for life about that scary Jiminy Cricket movie they saw when they were a kid. Sort of like me and Return To Oz. I mean come on! That lady had a hallway of heads she'd wear!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Yeah dude, Return to Oz is hands down the scariest children's movie ever created. Just go through the plot in your head and try to imagine what the studio execs who greenlighted that one were thinking. It's got everything; electroshock therapy, the killer sand, the multi-headed woman. It's not bad enough that poor Dorothy had to go to Oz and deal with the witch the first time, now she's getting electroshocked, and the actress playing Dorothy ends up in The Waterboy. Also, I would stay the heck away from Oz if I were her, since some crazy woman is always trying to kill her there.