Thursday, November 06, 2003

I have been a downloading animal! Well, okay, maybe not quite. But I do like the zoom zoom! Now all I need is another monitor and I could just become one with the internet forever.

So it was another day out of the office. However, lunch at Pizza Hut for the lunch buffet more than made up or it. It's all you can eat pizza for 7 bucks or so. You can't beat that. Maybe if I'm lucky we can eat there again tomorrow.

So, I have received word that Penn State has made some sort of agreement with Napster that will allow students to download music for free from the newly resurrected service. A good idea, but with a poor goal and guidelines to follow. First, students cannot burn what they download onto CDC unless they $0.99 a song. That right there would kill me. My MP3 player can only play MP3s and WMAs from a CD. A bad rule right there. More people share their files right from their computers anyway. Actually if you think about it, letting users burn the songs would result in less sharing because once they burn their songs to a CD, they will erase them from their harddrive and probably just stick the CD into their CD holder to played at a later time. I would rather grab songs from a buddy's computer than hassle with copying a CD. Second bad rule, students cannot download any song for free, only certain ones. This is defeating the purpose. I don't want someone telling me what I can and cannot download. In fact, people the RIAA does and I don't listen to them. Although a goal of keeping students from breaking the law is admirable, with guidelines like that, it just seems very unrealistic.

With all that in mind, Roscoe has informed me that he now has a blog. This means he gets added to the little side bar over there. What are the rest of you doing? I know you have time in your busy busy schedules to tell the world about what you're up to. Hey Sco, I like the little "still single" phrase in the corner there. Perhaps I could add something like that to mine saying, "still under-paid."

Freddy Says: "Well, everyone who pays with a Visa just gets a tax exempt."