Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Ode to A Plant by Jimmy

Oh Plant! Why do you torture us so?
Why oh why do you say no
When we tell you to fix this and fix that.
You refuse to put on your hard hat

And go out next to your plant and take a peak
to see if you can spot a leak.
But instead you choose to pick up the phone,
And I'd much prefer to deal with Tyrone.

But today we came and fixed your bind.
My morning routine I left behind.
Now please oh please do what we say
So I can have a more pleasant day.

This afternoon the phone rings . . . Of course with one glance at the caller ID Ashley's eyes begin to role. This can mean only one thing. Freddy is trying to call. Usually his problems are pretty trivial. He thinks the program should have this or do that. But today, he was trying to add Antistrip to his mix. This is not uncommon at all. Most plants add 1 to 5 oz of this admix per ton of mix. It helps the asphalt adhere to stone and stick better. Anywho, Freddy wanted to put 15 oz per ton is his mix! Well the program could not support such big numbers (it dispenses via an encoder with about 150 counts per rev). It sounded like a circus on the phone! Freddy was taking phone calls, batching, checking if the proper ounces came out, and who knows what else. This guy is INTENSE. But I'm sure he was loving every minute of it. I expect to be there by noon tomorrow, but maybe he'll surprise me and fix everything . . .

Freddy Says, "And let me tell ya, I don't drink! And I'm really stressed here! But I don't drink or smoke!"